May Day!

We've just passed through a couple of VERY busy days.

Educators from the Lower Columbia Estuary Project visited twice, leading fish dissection and an exploration of bird beak adaptations. Next: Our trip toward the end of this month. Let me know if you hope to go with us on our canoe trip on the Willamette. Background checks must be complete, and there is little time left! I do have the minimum number of adults that I need.

We tested each day last week, and just a few kids have continued state testing this week as others engage in math review. We will tackle the math portions of the SBAC next week. I asked kids to bring home unfinished math practice tests tonight. It is very difficult to get kids to bring home work to look over with family. Unless your child is getting an E in Math on his/her report card (E means "exceeding the benchmarks"), ask your child to bring home all math. Take time to look over our work and see what you can do to help your child.

I am slipping in just a bit of history, but mostly math during the day. Kids are in two neat camps: Those that find decimals easy and those who find them impossibly confusing. Soon, all (or almost all) will master them, then find it hard to remember when they thought they were hard! I am having students who have already shown master in decimals tackle DreamBox. I'm curious if any student will complete all the fourth grade material. Dreambox is quite a workout - look over your child's should sometime!

One last thing: I'm missing a few books from the classroom. Some are from Multonomah County Library, and some are from Grout. Both want their books back, and I racking up fines. Please have your child clean her/his room and see if one of those books is in there. Most of the books are about the American Revolution. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts