I'm not sure why my previous blog whited out. Hmmm. I've fiddled with it long enough, though. If you find the blog useful and know how to work with Blogger to fix this, I would welcome your help!
Testing is going fine. It is quiet. Kids are used to working hard, working solo, and so I've had no complaints. We go just an hour. I am not putting limits on how much kids do in a session. Instead, I'm encouraging them to be responsible. When do YOU think you should stop and take a rest?
We will test again on Thursday and Friday.
Friday, a few other adults will come in to speak to the class.
First is a fellow with the Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership, my newest partnership. I loved the first visit from the Partnership. The instructor modeled a watershed in a way kids have seen before, but did such a fine job the repetition was only good! Students then got hands-on with an appealing box of toys, including binoculars to examine the image of a songbird from across the room. I circulated to teach a few how to use binoculars, something I consider a life skill! This connected to the bird cam we've been watching (you should, too - it is linked on this blog site - see the chicks sleeping tonight!) On Friday morning, our Partnership visitor will dissect a fish, connected to our on-and-off study of animal adaptions and habitats.
A second adult is Abby's mom, who will share her recent experience in Haiti. She is a physical therapist and worked with a group offering therapy to residents there. More to be learned on Friday!
Okay...Now the chaperone part. On Monday, May 21 our class will join Karen's fourth grade class for a trip to the Willamette River. There, educators with the Estuary Partnership will teach about the river ecosystem, even bringing us all on giant canoes! I'll need chaperones, of course, but for this trip I will be able to take LOTS of adults. Only catch: You must have your background check complete, clear, and assigned to Grout. Want to go? Check with the office to be sure your check is current, and let me know you're interested! I'm telling you early so that you have time to get the date off from work!
Finally, I've put together a few guides to the math we do, written for parents by the Bridges Math folks. I have linked these for you on the blog and in emails, but if you have not looked at them and don't want to follow the threads online, I am happy to send you a hard copy. Just let me know, and I'll give your child a four-page packet to take home.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts