State tests!

On Tuesday, we will begin state tests. We will test about one hour each day, taking the place of ELA instruction, then Math for the two to three weeks we test. I will be careful to ensure those who have been opted out do not begin their tests. They will not have access to a device, but will be free to read and write on paper, and I will encourage them to set a purpose for their work. Since I have no room to send them to, they will sit separately in the classroom. I'll do my best to keep them comfortable. Testing is actually a pretty calm time, and won't feel much different than the long periods we have daily for reading and writing. Kids seem to enjoy it! Plus, we get outside a bit more to blow off steam. 

How to prepare for testing: Help your child get a good night's sleep every night. Encourage your child to do their best, and do your best to keep your child from worrying or complaining about the tests. Send a healthy snack your child can have mid morning: pretzels, nuts, fruit. (No chips, sugary treats, please - and water, only.) Not only is this brain food, it makes testing a bit special. 

You can access the training and practice tests at home or the library on any device, following a link on the Portaportal. Should you? If you're worried about your child's performance, yes. If you aren't, no.