Three Ghosts

I've divided today's blog into three ghosts:

THE PAST
Well, we finished (at last!) that big study of the American Revolution. Since it was really just a study of how to read/research using challenging informational text, and how to WRITE informational text, kids are still shaky on the history. More will come in fifth grade (where the topic belongs), and, especially, eight grade. Meanwhile, all finished a "first book" focusing on a subtopic of the American Revolution. A few remain to be published (by me - a laborious process!), but most have gone home. Many student published a second book on a topic of their choosing (and a few of these await printing, too). I am proud of my students work!

We also finished work with bigger number multiplication and division with different models, and resumed study of Oregon history.

THE PRESENT
We're taking a quick look at poetry (April is poetry month!) and classical music (with a trip tomorrow) as a break after out last unit in language arts. I'll spend a little time with use of variables in math and explorers in history.

THE FUTURE
Next week, I'll do a few things to prepare for state testing in language arts (and I'll send home a timeline and a few details about this!), then we'll launch into testing! I'll hold off on beginning our next unit in language arts (historical fiction) until testing is underway.

I'll also lead us back into fractional numbers, including decimals, improper fractions, and mixed numbers for the rest of April. Also, exploration of Oregon by LAND, including Lewis and Clark, and then settlement (including the Oregon Trail). Since testing will be in session (and it is fatiguing!), this will all be low-key.

We'll also work in the area of science with the Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership. Our work with them will consist of three lessons in the classroom (one done already) and a trip on the Willamette River. That takes us deep into May!

Jonathon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts