Gratitude


During a week designated as Teacher Appreciation Week, I saw more of the same that I have experienced all year: Kind gestures from families and students. This is a year in which I felt fully appreciated, by familes, students, and even my more talented colleagues. It makes it hard to complain in the teachers lounge! :)  I received pie (my favorite food) from the PTA, cards and gifts from families (some already broken - You klutz Fish!), notes and drawings, origami (and ¨ mister fish-style origami¨) and gods-eyes and a BIG signed, food-filled poster (in the hall) from my students - true art! Best of all, smiles and handshakes and fistbumps. Those of you who know me know that I do not like special events, attention, or compliments. I had to put up with a lot. Thank you.


And, it is due to your own children. I am grumpy by nature, perhaps, and they keep me from getting too morose, and instead fill me with gratitude. These are not flowery words. Ask my teaching colleagues; I speak my truth, pleasant or not. You are proud of your children, I can tell, and rightly so. These last few days, as I look at giving up some of my students for this next year, I am mindful of what they have given me, the memories and the hope they leave behind with old mister fish in 210. I am a wealthy teacher by this measure.


This week I will take a trip with the class, along with three or four among you who will accompany us, to watch us as we cross the street, make sure stragglers are not left behind; to smile and protect and nurture. I am grateful for my volunteers that enable these trips to happen, and this Thursday I will thank them briefly after my lunch line supervision. At the same time, I extend thanks to ALL of you for enforcing bedtimes, checking backpacks, packing healthy lunches, and sending happy, rested children - even when you are all running a bit late!


Thank you!

                                     - j

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts