In December, we are investigating the Earth-Moon-Sun system, bringing science concepts like gravity and orbits. Ms Kjome, Grout's ESL specialist, is co-leading this unit with me. Our work is a testing ground for a new unit being developed for use in schools across the district. So far, so good. There are changes we'd make, but students are showing interest and grappling with the big science ideas.
Also this month, we are concluding a unit on informational text. We have been reading texts connected to studies in Social Studies (especially pre-Columbian indigenous peoples) and beyond. Writing connected to this unit began with summarizing the ideas of texts, and moved on to analysis and comparison of texts. At the same time, students are writing "short" about ideas in Science and Social Studies.
Math dominates an hour each day, and I am always surprised how disappointed many are when Math time is up! In December, we moved from studying whole number and decimal multiplication to whole number and decimal division.
We will conclude studies in Math and English by the end of December so that we may begin a new study in January. I also hope to sneak in MAP Growth assessments in both before we leave for Winter break. I'll share those results with report cards toward the end of January. I hope - and expect - to see great growth for all! (If I don't, at least I'll know, and I'll have the two weeks of Winter break to rethink the difficult instructional choices I've made, and plan differently for the studies of 2020...)
The very last day before Winter break (a Friday) will be a "chill day" for us. That means, kids choosing a table (or spot on the dusty floor) to spread out cards, lay a chess board or board game, or line up colored pencils to draw with a buddy. A very few will likely need to make up an assessment they missed earlier in the week, but that shouldn't take long, and then I can even play a bit of music. We'll all relax. I'll provide the treats, but families may always contact me if there is something special they'd like to send.
Thanksgiving is over, but I am still feeling gratitude for the life - your child - that you've shared with me. My own life is richer because of the students. Thank you for creating wonderful people to be with.
Jonathon
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts