Science

Lately, class time has been eaten by testing, reading fantasy, mastering the coordinate plane, and learning new words for reproductive anatomy. Meanwhile, MY mind has been on Science - and STILL it hasn't happened in 210!

Well, this next week will probably be more of the same. A shortened week, a visit to Hosford, a visiting author, the imperatives of the growth and development study, and a few other things (including weather that may drive us outside!) will distract us, I'm sure. However, I feel we will get our eyes back on the stars! 

To begin with, we will prepare for, then take, the new state test for Science. I looked it over this Memorial Day weekend. It is a doozy! I will offer students to take the practice test for eight grade, too. Fun stuff!

But, I do plan a return to the study of Space we started. I bought flashlights and collected up little supplies here and there, and I want to use them! So, by Wednesday, I hope, we will rejoin Mystery Doug in considering the little mysteries surrounding our planet and its solar system habitat.

Here is a look back at what we've seen already, along with a link (that expires in 10 days) to see a presentation that guided our activities in class. The text is a suggested parent communication piece provided by Mystery Science, and it pretty much says it all.

PUT THIS ALL IN PAST TENSE!
It's the first week of our new astronomy unit, and we're answering the question: "Why does the Sun rise and set?" We’ll talk about the rotation (spin) of the Earth and watch video footage from space that shows the Earth spinning.

If you have the chance to watch the sunset or sunrise with your child, be sure to turn around and check out the super long shadow you both cast when the Sun is low in the sky.

For a spectacular view of the sunrise, I recommend you and your child watch this time-lapse video of Earth: http://www.universetoday.com/88998/amazing-timelapse-video-from-the-space-station/ It was created by putting together photos taken from the International Space Station. You’ll see the yellow lights of human civilization, the flashing white of lightning in the clouds, and in the end, a brilliant sun rising above the curve of our planet.

For a link to a guiding phenomenon for the unit, click HERE

For a link to the first lesson, detailed above, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts