May...already

Families,

Yes, I know. More than halfway through May, and I am only now blogging a bit of an update from the classroom. I'm sorry for my inconsistent communication. I am also sorry for boring your fifth graders to tears today - I'm STILL having trouble wrapping myself around this year, and it is nearly over!

I am, indeed, quite overwhelmed. If there is something you want to know, please send a note/email/text (I wish...when will teachers get text-capable accounts?). Just don't leave a message on my classroom phone - I never see it! I will turn your question into a reply for all if it seems like many would want to hear my reply.

So, this blog is intended to be an outreach, if a feeble one. Let me share quickly what's up in 210:

MATH: Kids working at their own pace (ideally a lesson per day) though the Zearn module, exploring the coordinate plane. My math-inclined daughters assure me this is a GREAT thing to do before students go on to sixth grade. I provide one-to-one help during an independent work session, as asked. Students may also help each other. I offer whole-class review of "exit tickets" for each lesson, as well as offering a problem or puzzler for the class to tackle now and then. This gives me a chance to teach.

ELA: Kids are reading fantasy at blisteringly-high reading levels! I am so amazed! I have too many kids reading at too great a variety of paces to pull groups together to chat about a book, but they seem happy to be reading the same titles anyway. I offer as much whole-class instruction (about theme, symbolism and metaphors, structure, characterization, use of setting as a character) as I can without taking away their precious independent reading time. I love to see them deep in fantastic worlds, escaping the confines of dusty room 210! As for writing, L would really like me to get it going, and...I will...sometime. We need a break to do this, a break from...

TESTING! Yep, about 3 hours classtime (3 days) per test, and we are working through them. Most are rocking the tests, for what that is worth. I DO cheer every time a result comes back that shows a learner who has struggled, and worked hard, top their best and show tremendous growth! That has happened a bunch. I do feel downtrodden, though, to see disappointing scores for students who have not gotten the teacher-attention, the Mr. Fischer-attention, that they needed. :( Testing is kind of a drag sometimes. Ms. Kjome did K-5 in a school with no tests, no grades - imagine! And she is the smartest, loveliest person I know!

SCIENCE: Which students voted against today - in favor of Fantasy reading! :( I love science. I have transferred my admiration of Bill Nye (the Science Guy) to Mystery Doug, and I guess I must be the only one! I will win out, though. I have learned not to give them a choice. In the next days, when testing ends and we have time again, I am giving every free moment to the study of the sun-earth-moon system, and a whole host of perspective-growing concepts in the mix - we are studying the stars!

HEALTH: I bet your fifth grader is darn quiet about this! I hope to change that. You are your child's number one resource for all of life. I want them to be comfortable talking with you about things that matter deeply, personal things. That is the true aim of this unit, and 210 has a good track record of inspiring kids to finally sit down with parents to ask questions like (fill in the blank). In family life, as in all of social life, communication is the key! Consult the flyer I sent home for more information on the whole picture; right now we are in male anatomy, and heading quickly to female anatomy. Just labeling parts, a quick description of function, and a few tips or extra information meant to encourage wonder and appreciation and allay fears ("yes, if this is true for you, it is normal - no worries!"), as well as things your child should be alert to (like, what kinds of discomfort you should NOT wait to talk to someone about!) Independent/buddy reading will fill in blanks, and maybe inspire questions for me - or YOU! 

SOCIAL STUDIES: Can't right now! But I do hope to return to the functions of (federal) government, and some rights, responsibilities, and a nod toward our strong, inspiring, and young generation of advocates! A group your own ADOLESCENT is joining - with a mind and voice equal to any! These young people seriously impress me. If you were a fly on the wall of 210, I know you would feel shivers of admiration, as I do. I've got the greatest job in the world.

Unless I hear a question or two that I feel a blog would best address, expect one more "goodbye" blog!

Jonathon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts