Test on volume

MATH TEST
I sent home the volume test today. You can see how your fifth grader did on one of the two big math tests for third term. The second test will be in March, on fractions. We are just beginning this new unit.

NEW MATH MATERIALS, INCLUDING HOMEWORK
During the middle of the volume unit, I went through an immense amount of work to adopt a new set of curricular materials. I believe my students learned more because of this change, and I plan to use it for this next unit two.

I teach whole class, followed by individual checks for progress. Each lesson (one per day), I offer a sheet of practice for homework. If these are returned to me, I correct them and return them to students. They can then ask me for more help. These practice sheets challenge students to apply what is taught in a given lesson to new situations, often more complicated situations. I highly encourage kids to take this challenging work home. Take a look at the test I returned to students today. It will help you evaluate if your child should take the math practice I offer each day in class.

ZEARN.COM
At the same time, I have assigned each student independent math study on Zearn, an online math program. This independent study is NOT the same unit of work I am using whole-class. Instead, I have assigned students to a lesson series based on their individual needs. Each student can work through at their own pace and revisit lessons when they are confused. Each lesson typically takes one day, and each has a page of homework connected to it. These pages are out every day. That means your fifth grader could easily be taking home a sheet of math practice every day that is appropriate to his/her/their level. If returned to me, I will correct it, same as I do for the whole class work.

I am following the progress of students and supporting them as I can. Students have independent work time on Zearn math in class most every day. A few students have begun using it as home, as well. Zearn is something I hope YOUR student will begin using at home. I gave each student a copy of their id and password for Zearn.com and asked them to paste it in their black composition notebooks.

I hope you are well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts