Parent communication

PARENT COMMUNICATION

 Following conferences, I am busy, busy, busy with to-do items from my conferences with YOU! I have a few promises out there for support to send home, requests for help in-building for students struggling with academics, emotions, or relationships, and TAG nominations. Busy! Know that several of you are waiting to hear the outcome of my work. I also have a few parents who have reached out, to whom I have not yet responded. I ask for your patience as I work through the many items on my plate. I hope to restore my communication with families to same-day, or at least next-day, as soon as I can.

CONCERNS: WHAT YOU AND YOUR CHILD CAN DO
Meanwhile, you or your child may have concerns that need a more immediate response at school. If that is the case, please let me know this in your email/note/phone message. I will bump you up on my list. While I like to be ¨in the loop¨ about everything concerning my students, know that David Frankunas (our counselor), Karey Kirk (our climate specialist), and - of course - Annie Tabshy (our principal) can also help you with concerns.

Kids with needs/concerns can catch my ear during the day ONLY WHEN I AM IN THE BUILDING. When I am at a training, they cannot. Students may also feel uncomfortable bringing up some issues with me. If either is ever the case for your child, your child can always solicit help from Mr. Frankunas or Ms. Kirk by asking the sub (or myself) for a form they developed. (It is a bright red sheet of paper, and I give instructions and offer privacy for students completing it; and the child may bring this form directly to Mr. Frankunas or Ms. Kirk.)

 I do encourage you to let me know if your child is experiences difficulties at school. However, as students enter the ¨tween¨ years, it is increasingly important that they learn to do this themselves. Please encourage your child to be brave and proactive at school - and in life! - by asking for help themselves! If that fails, do step in.

 As I write this, I am thinking of two concerns involving students at the moment. Working on these problems is tricky, especially with so many days off in November, and now so many sub days for me. They are taking some time, and I will have more success in addressing these problems in a healthy way for kids if ALL of my students step up and share the job of making our classroom a safe place to be. Most are showing exemplary behavior and effort, but, again, most must do more to encourage the best of their classmates AND step forward to help others. Helping can take the form of direct help with classwork, listening to personal problems, being an ¨upstander¨ when a classmate is faced with unkind treatment by another peer. Helping can also be indirect,soliciting help from an adult on their behalf. Classmates see this last form of help as ¨tattling¨. Adults in my building see it as standing up for others. 

CLASSROOM CONCERNS: WHAT I AM DOING
I am busy taking small steps that have been shown to work in the class: Changing groups as I see problems between classmates develop; following district discipline protocols to a T by documenting problems and informing the office and parents; adding (just today!) a SEVENTH table to add even more space between students; making judicious use of isolated seating and time in other classrooms for students who are disturbing peers, and KEEPING THE ROOM CLEAN.

 No kidding on this last one; I have learned that dirty rooms (and halls, and bathrooms...) make for poor behavior, for whatever reason. I am in the Red Zone, meaning the custodian will empty the trash and change light bulbs in 210 and that is all. Each day before I leave, I wash the tables, put up the chairs, and sweep out the field mud and track grit. On Fridays, I mop the floor, wipe the chair backs and seats, and water the plants. (It is kind of therapeutic!)

 The most important step I take to create a climate conducive to learning is this: I put in time at school and at home to put together studies that are as relevant and interesting AND RIGOROUS as I am able. (Note the ¨as I am able¨ part here: I do not pretend to run a rich, challenging program that engages every student and leads to miracle growth. But I do try to!) I know students are more likely to invest themselves fully and GROW if they feel that their investment will pay. Fpr each day, I take the time I have to prepare what I think will give my students the biggest PUNCH of growth and set them up best for their tomorrows. 

MR. SCROOGE Finally, my apologies if your child has come home complaining that I have been absent/grouchy/too-busy-to-talk-to-me. All are true! I take LOTS of deep breaths and try to be the teacher I would want for my own daughters, and fail regularly! Know that your children are so very important to me. I feel my job with them is important and worthy of time, attention, and creativity, and I am working with my solid South Dakota work ethic to DO MY JOB -- that is, to be the teacher they deserve. Again, thanks for your patience with me as I work to meet the needs of these thirty-one people-on-the-grow. Jonathon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts