science this week

Here is a portion of a blog that I thought posted successfully a week ago. I guess it did NOT. I discovered it marked DRAFT. I think the information it provides is still important, and connects to our current work in science:

Here's a little science, right here! We have started our work with students from Reed College. We will be working in the domain of life sciences this fall. Our work is NGSS-aligned (this is a good thing!). I am supplementing with material I have access to, including Mystery Science (thanks again, PTA!), BrainPOP (thanks parents, for your subscription funds at the start of the year!), and Bill Nye (the Science Guy). Here is a little about our work in science:

This week we learned about food chains: how every animal has something it eats, and for many animals, also some predator it's eaten by! Your child learned that by asking the two food chain questions:  “What does it eat?” and “What is it eaten by?,” you can find surprising animals living near you. Hopefully your child will come home curious to flip over a log and look for creatures living nearby!
You can support your child’s curiosity by increasing the odds of them finding some new and interesting creature. If possible, take them to the closest nature preserve, especially anywhere with fallen logs.

The part, "take them to the closest nature preserve" is a homework suggestion. Kids grow up quickly - do it this week! I have posted a link to this Mystery Science episode on The Pond, our Google Classroom. You may be receiving updates from Google Classroom. You will need your child - or his/her id and password - to see all there is to see. With this, you can see SOME of what we have done in class. Here is a link to Google Classroom: The Pond.

Jonathon