Handwriting

Since early September, students have spend the first part of some mornings working on their handwriting. (Ask about Mr. Fischer setting up shop on top of a table to demonstrate correct posture!) Some - not all - students have enjoyed the work, and ALL seem to have benefited. Just as it is important to dress up a bit for some events, it is nice to have the skill to write legibly and BEAUTIFULLY in the moments that really count. And, sometimes it is just nice to have good handwriting. My everyday script is sloppy, frankly, but I always get compliments on my signature at the grocery-store checkout line!

Last Spring, I asked students to vote on whether we should spend time learning calligraphy in fifth grade. A strong majority of the class said "YES!" Time spend by students on handwriting has been linked to growth in other academic areas, just as exercise, yoga, music, and art. When one considers that Apple computers grew from the seed of calligraphy at our own local Reed College, (Yep, that's a hyperlink you should check out!) it is plain to see that calligraphy may still have some value to us today! And, calligraphy starts with the basic letter forms; there is no letter form more perfect that Italic script.

I am offering students materials to learn italic handwriting this year, including basic and cursive forms. This is a beautiful script.  We will be using materials developed by (local authors/publishers) Getty-Dubay Productions, copied in violation of copyright laws, but with Inga Dubay's generous and express permission! I hope to have Gregory Macnaughton from Reed College return to 210 with members of a local calligraphy society to assist students in the classroom. 

HERE'S THE PART FOR YOU: Would you like to purchase the workbook from which I am illegally copying pages? It is Book F of the Getty-Dubay Italic Handwriting Series, designed for fifth grade, and published locally. If you are willing to pay the $12 per copy, I will order one for your fifth grader. We are not yet far into the workbook, and it will still be worth it! 

Why purchase? The workbook contains guides for your child that will help him/her as he/she learns. It is also much more appealing that working from copied pages! When completed, I can take a photo of child/book to post to the publisher's site, and a certificate will be awarded! Then, you might consider the ADULT book, Book G, which I hope to end the year on with my class!

Want to do it? Email me! You may respond to the email sent to all parents. I'll order a book for your child upon your promise of $12!