If your child is returning to 210, I bet the feeling is mutual. The nice thing is, we're pretty much a family already! We have one student new to our community joining us Monday; the rest of us spent fourth grade together in one room or another - me, too! I'm excited to meet with my young friends! There will be 31 of us, nice and cozy.
I'm also excited to meet with my older friends, my supportive parents. I'll see some of you in the hallway, I know, and more at school events in the Fall. While I am ALREADY behind in replying to parent emails, I do encourage you to keep in touch. A good way to keep up with life in 210 is to subscribe to this Blog by entering your email address below. (If you are reading this letter on PAPER, know that you can find it online at https://groutroom210.blogspot.com/.) Another way is to open a Twitter account (This is a lot to ask, I know!) and follow @JFischerGrout.
Information for the start of the year:
HOMEWORK: The only homework the first two weeks is to get all the paperwork from the office back to me complete. (Well, I just might send something else home, we'll see...) Your fifth graders will receive a home folder and all this paperwork from me Monday. I want students to bring their home folder back and forth to school EVERY DAY to keep papers in one place, and keep them flat and pretty!
SUPPLIES: Bring me a rested, clean "tween" - that is all I ask! If you are able to supply your child with more, see the list posted on the Grout website. From students who bring these items, I will collect the paper and kleenex and money, but will ask them to find a home for everything else in their locker. Students will come into class with a pencil box and whatever seems needed each day. I have a couple folders and journals and a pencil resting for each student resting on tables now!
SCHEDULE: The weekly schedule will be posted by the room, if you are curious. What you need to know now is:
- PE Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 8:45. (THREE DAYS EACH WEEK! With two recesses per day all five days, make sure your child comes with good running shoes every day!)
- Art on Tuesday at 8:45
- Library on Friday at 8:45, with some possibilities for extra checkout times for my avid readers!
Class doors open at 7:50 and class begins at 8:00. Please have your child to school on time. I would prefer students who will eat the free breakfast to come early enough to eat it downstairs before 8:00. (Keeping food off the second floor keeps rats and mice off the second floor!)
Class ends at 2:15. I keep kids in the room until the bell. Please avoid early pickups - they are quite disruptive!
My next posts will tell you a bit about what is new at Grout and in room 210 this year. It promises to be a good year with rich opportunities for fifth graders!
Jonathon