Homework??!!

Families

Today I sent homework! I can hear you saying, "You said no homework, Jonathon!" Yes, you are right. This isn't really "homework," but work that can be done at home! There is nothing to return, nothing I will check off.
I can imagine two question you might have. First, WHAT IS THE NOT-HOMEWORK? Your fourth grader is to:
  1. Hand you a green sheet of paper, handed out in class, and ask you to read it. Once read, you can recycle this.
  2. Show you a white reading log, handed out in class. Note: Only show you. Your fourth grader must use this.
  3. Ensure family responsibilities (chores like food prep and cleanup, etc) and personal health care (getting after-school exercise, eating, washing hands) are taken care of before continuing. (This is a bit of a sore spot with my middle schoolers! Can you tell?)
  4. Carve out a great spot for their nightly reading. Make sure the choice of location does not unduly inconvenience any family member. Set it up for comfort and effectiveness: Not so soft a pillow/chair that one falls asleep; music or white noise (a fan?) that does not impede concentration. Also, NOT IN BED! Check out the flyers at your doctor's office: Use the bed for sleep ONLY, or suffer insomnia; children, too. Reading (from paper, NOT a screen) is great before sleep, but NOT IN BED, and NOT LAYING DOWN. You would be surprised how many children I've had over the last 17 years who suffer from insomnia, and whose academic progress, behavior, peer and adult relationships, and self-esteem obviously suffered from that lack of sleep. (2- 3 in every class, which is 2-3 too many!)
  5. Follow procedures for using a reading log detailed and practiced in class.
  6. Read! 20 minutes minimum, ideally 30, and 40 maximum. More than 40, and you're probably neglecting family responsibilities or your healthy bedtime. (Do you hear me, my daughters?!)
  7. Finish the log.
  8. Bring the reading log back to class next school day.
  9. Repeat every school day this year.
What do you need to do? Nothing. The work is for your child. No accountability is built in, however, so I encourage you to encourage your pre-teen (!!!) to step up and act responsibilty. Perhaps tell them, "Just Do It!"
I will send little homework items from time to time; unless I write REQUIRED on it, all are optional, but recommended. Our literacy adoption is rich in great homework items. While I don't believe much of homework assigned actually helps kids - and some hurts - this is good homework. (My opinion.)
Jonathon