Student illness
Families have done a great job keeping sick students home this year. In the past, we have NOT asked students to be kept home if they are showing the symptoms of a cold (coughing, sneezing, congestion). It sounds as if that is changing, at least temporarily. Please refer to guidelines sent to families by PPS over the weekend, and keep an eye on the Multnomah County Health website set up for COVID-19. If I notice that a child may be ill, I will refer them to our school nurse.
Room cleaning
In the room, I will ask students to leave their chairs down at the end of the day. I will use safe, effective cleaning supplies from the custodian to clean chair backs and table surfaces, then put the chairs back up. (Custodians resumed sweeping the floor about two weeks ago when PPS restored night staffing! :) Thanks to all who contacted PPS about this issue over the past 12 months!) During the day, I've been using disinfectant wipes to clean the doornob, light switch, and pencil sharpener. I'll continue that, but also extend it to the chassis and touchpad of Chromebooks.
Helpers
Often, students and family members offer to help with end-of-day cleaning. This is very kind. However, it is best if all leave quickly at the end of the day so that I may begin cleaning on my own. First, because the cleaners I use may be used only by staff. Secondly, because, when all are gone, I whiz busily around the building - like a whirling dervish! - to get things done! I'm more effective and thorough on my own, and do a better job cleaning, too! (I'm also mentally fatigued from 6 hours of 28 tweens, love them as I do!)
Air quality
To keep air healthy, I crack windows, keep top vents open on all but the coldest days, and turn up the heat a bit to offset the draft. I run a HEPA air filter continuously, and ask students not to wear any perfumed products, since many students are sensitive to them.
Student hygiene
Hand sanitizer (70%) is freely available in the room, next to a box of tissues. (I do need more of those - I've been raiding the office. BIG year for tissue use!) This year, I've been discouraging "high fives" and other unnecessary touching. I've explained why it is important to avoid touching your face. I've also encouraged the very important habit of handwashing. I have shown videos and discussed handwashing repeatedly this year, and will do so again on Monday. I encourage any of the health care professionals among my families to stop by 210 and add their voice to mine!
Diet
We'll all be safer if all stay healthy! Help promote strong immune systems by encouraging the habits above, but also a healthy, regular sleep diet - 10 to 11 hours! for tweens - and healthy eating. I like Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat good food, not a lot, mostly vegetables." And, avoid that SUGAR! (Let's see if I can take that last advice myself! :) )
Panic
Nobody can stay healthy with fear gripping them! My message in the class is to be careful, be calm. A great new BrainPOP we watched Friday teaches and encourages a calm approach to this epidemic. By coincidence, we are heading into a social-emotional unit in health this week, and I'll add in information and discussion opportunities for topics like fear and anxiety, positive messages of peer support and strength. We'll keep on top of news as it develops, but won't obsess! More information about our March studies will come later. I'd planned to send them in this blog, but COVID-19 inconveniently changed my plans! It's doing that for a LOT of us now... :(
In good health, Jonathon
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts